Rescuers search survivors after California mudslides kill 15


SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (Reuters) – Rescue crews with dogs and scanners dug through waist-deep mud in an affluent stretch of Southern California’s coast on Wednesday, hunting for some two dozen people missing after mudslides swept through, killing at least 15.

The mudslides in Santa Barbara County resulted from a downpour on Tuesday that destroyed 100 single-family homes, damaged hundreds of other buildings and injured 28 people, said Amber Anderson, a spokeswoman for the Santa Barbara County Fire Department.

Historic hotels and homes of celebrities including Oprah Winfrey were also hit by the walls of mud that roared through valleys sandwiched between the Pacific Ocean and the sprawling Los Padres National Forest, which draw the wealthy and the well-known with their natural beauty and proximity to sprawling Los Angeles.

The verdant hillsides that once gave their estates a sense of seclusion were largely denuded by last month’s historic wildfires. That set the stage for the massive slides that sent boulders crashing into homes, turned highways into raging rivers and shredded cars into nearly unrecognizable tangles of metal.

One resident of Toro Canyon described being awakened before dawn Wednesday when his home began shaking and he heard sounds like those of a freight train and snapping wood.

“What they were was a bunch of trees that were being snapped by the mud and boulders and debris that were sliding down Toro Canyon,” said Jonathan Reichlen, 45, who owns an urban landscaping company.

“I just kind of waited it out because I did not want to go down to Toro Canyon while … the mudslide was actually going on,” Reichlen said in a phone interview.

Reichlen said he had emergency food supplies and water but no hot food, and was trying to figure out a way to get safely out of the canyon.

About 500 law enforcement officers and firefighters combed mud-covered neighborhoods, using dogs, 14 helicopters and thermal imaging equipment, officials said.

“We are still very much in active search-and-rescue mode,” Chris Elms, a spokesman for state firefighters, said in a phone interview. He warned the current death toll of 15 confirmed fatalities could rise. “That’s a fear. We are still very hopeful that we will locate people alive.”

FIRE, THEN MUD

Family members inspect the inside of a home covered in mud following the mudslides in Montecito, California, U.S., in this photo provided by the Santa Barbara County Fire Department, January 10,…



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *