By Norm Elrod
Jinder Mahal’s rise to stardom and championship glory appears sudden, even by professional wrestling requirements. However Mahal had been wrestling for years, and was already virtually a yr into his second WWE stint when he defeated Randy Orton for the WWE Championship.
Will he retain the title at SummerSlam? Who can ever know what WWE has deliberate? However right here are some things we do find out about Mahal.
1. Jinder Mahal was born as Yuvraj Singh Dhesi on July 19, 1986 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Dhesi is of Indian Punjabi descent and is fluent in Hindi and Punjabi. He truly discovered to talk Punjabi earlier than studying English.
2. Dhesi’s uncle is Gama Singh, who wrestled as a villain for a lot of the Nineteen Seventies and Nineteen Eighties with Stampede Wrestling in Calgary and within the early Nineteen Eighties with WWF on its worldwide excursions.
three. Dhesi, showing at Raj Dhesi, debuted with Premier Martial Arts Wrestling in 2002. The shy and quiet teenager, at age 15, was already nicely over six ft tall. He moved on to Stampede Wrestling and Prairie Wrestling Alliance (PWA), quickly altering his identify to Tiger Raj Singh, and gained a number of tag workforce championships whereas paired together with his cousin. Singh was additionally PWA heavyweight champion from 2008 to early 2010.
four. As a youngster, Dhesi additionally educated with Dangerous Information Brown, the famed and feared WWF heel from the late Nineteen Eighties, who additionally lived in Calgary.
5. Dhesi graduated from the College of Calgary with a enterprise diploma in communications and tradition. Throughout his time in school, he wrestled for native promotions on the weekends.
6. Dhesi first tried out for WWE on the age of 23. After a number of matches, together with one towards his cousin Gama Singh Jr., he didn’t make the reduce. Quickly after, he flew to Tampa to check out for Florida Championship Wrestling (FCW), then the WWE’s developmental territory. He went with a Punjabi gimmick that included a turban. FCW signed him to a developmental contract proper there, the one individual signed out of the 30 or so who auditioned.
>>MORE: From the world of Professional Wrestling
7. In his WWE TV debut, in April of 2011, Dhesi appeared as Jinder Mahal, in a phase with The Nice Kahli that quickly launched a feud. Because the story went, he performed an Indian aristocrat who bullied Kahli. The pair, who’re good associates in actual life, briefly labored as a tag workforce earlier than the feud took off. Extra lately, the Nice Kahli helped Mahal retain his heavyweight title over Randy Orton.
eight. Mahal’s first WWE stint featured a run as a part of the heel…